The Prince William-Manassas Family Alliance’s VOTER GUIDE for the GENERAL ELECTION, NOVEMBER 2nd 10th and 11th DISTRICTS, U.S. HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES lists candidate positions on eleven different issues. What the guide does is reveal that these candidates have distinctly different positions on these issues. What that suggest is that these candidates also have significantly different philosophies about government.
Out of the four candidates we profiled with our voter guide, only Keith S. Fimian (R) responded to our questionnaire. Therefore, this post lists only the sources we used to determine Congressman Gerald E. Connolly‘s (D) positions for our VOTER GUIDE for the GENERAL ELECTION, NOVEMBER 2nd 11th DISTRICT, U.S. HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES.
We determined Connolly’s positions based upon the votes he has made as our congressman.
- Oppose Repealing the 2010 national health care legislation: Voted for HR 3962 on 11-7-09 and Senate amendments to HR 3590 on 3-21-10.
- Oppose Constitutionally defining marriage as union of 1 man and 1 woman: Opposes defining marriage in such terms even in a statute. Cosponsored H.R. 3567 to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.
- Opposed to Reducing tax rates to stimulate economy: Opposed Camp substitute for HR 1 on 1-28-09.
- Supports Closing the terrorist prison at Guantanamo Bay: Voted against Lewis amendment to HR 2847 on 6-18-09.
- Supports Allowing self-declared homosexuals to serve in the military: Voted for Murphy amendment to HR 5136 on 5-27-10.
- Oppose Prohibiting national health care from funding abortions.: Voted against Stupak amendment to HR 3962 on 11-7-09 and Camp motion to recommit HR 4872 on 3-21-10. This Associated Press article contains a summary of H.R. 4872, including the abortion provisions.
- Support Regulating malpractice suits & preserving Medicare Advantage: Voted for Cantor motion to recommit HR 3962 on 11-7-09.
- Opposed to Allowing guns in national parks & wildlife refuges, if state law allows: House roll call 277, Senate amendment to HR 627 on 5-20-2009.
- Support Setting up cap-and-trade system to reduce greenhouse gases: Voted for HR 2454 on 6-26-09.
- Oppose Authorizing GAO to audit the Federal Reserve: Voted against Bachus amendment to HR 4173 on 6-30-10. Here is an explanation of what the vote was about.